Kelvin..Amelia...Xavier

Kelvin..Amelia...Xavier

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Bottle to straw cup transition - Day 1

During Xavier's 12 month well check, PD advise is time to wean him off the bottles because it can create orthidontic problems with baby's teeth and jaw
I was like huh? Isn't it too early? 
 It's gonna to be difficult!
How and when should I start?
Lots and lots of question marks??????
 
Currently, buddy is having 3 bottles a day
Morning, before nap and night
Straw cup is not all new to him
He has been using the straw cup to drink his water during the day
 
So, I just decided that yesterday afternoon was a great day to start with
He drank his milk in the morning, had cereal for breakfast
had his porridge for lunch as asual
Soon it was Milk time
On this typical day he is usually reclining on the sofa
with a bottle of warm milk
But yesterday everything was the same except for the milk was in the straw cup
He took a few sip and just when I started feeling happy...
He threw it away.... he was mad and started being fussy
When he felt I was no way giving him the bottle
he cried and super whiny
The drama went on for good 1.5 hours
I didn't speak a word with him
I didn't want to be mad at him
I know its a very difficult for him or anyone who is used to doing a thing
for over an year and suddenly somebody is trying to change it
the feeling is terrible!!!!
I really felt bad for him
I consoled him and did everything to make him feel better
except for giving the bottle
 
Then, I left the straw cup on the floor and pretend that I'm not paying attention
He hesitated for a while and picks it up all by himself and gulps down
the whole cup of milk
Wow!!! Mission accomplished for the day!!!!
 
First day weaning his afternoon bottle to straw cup.
Lots of hard work and lots of whining
but all my efforts pay off.
Xavier did it and finished all his milk...
 Mama is so happy ;)
 

No comments: