Kelvin..Amelia...Xavier

Kelvin..Amelia...Xavier

Friday, February 6, 2015

Working on Scissor skill

Xavier has been interested in using the scissors lately. So, I cut up some long strips of paper and drew different types of lines (curved, straight and zig zagged) for him to follow. 

Frankly speaking, I have never thought of working with him on using scissors. I taught him his letters, shapes, numbers and animals etc but scissors never entered into the equation. Then last week, while I was on the internet researching for online teaching materials, I come across the importance of cutting/scissor skill. After reading it, I was amazed.

"Why kids need to learn to use scissors: 
  • cutting with scissors builds muscles in the hands needed for fine motor skills like writing and painting - anything that requires a grip
  • It helps strengthen hand-eye coordination, so your child is more coordinated (like for throwing balls and such)
  • It works on bilateral coordination - two sides of the body work together (e.g. holding the paper with one hand while cutting with the other)"






No comments: